Things have come a long way in the last 180+ years.
Once upon a time they were restricted to household duties and subservience to men.
These days, not only can women vote — they can become Prime Minister / President of a country.
But it wasn’t also so. In his 1830’s book, Mr. Charles Varle, Esquire described the way women should act.
Here are the top 10 ways a woman of the time should act and behave.
- Avoid everything masculine
- Be not too often seen in public
- Form no friendship with men
- If you talk in society, talk only about those things which you understand
- Endeavor to write and speak grammatically (yeah, tell that to today’s texting generation)
- Fondness for finery shows as bad a taste as neatness and simplicity imply a good one
- Let not love begin on your part
- Make no great intimacies with anybody
- Read no novels, but let your study be History, Geography, Biography and other instructive books
- You cannot be too circumspect in matters of love and marriage; and remember that whereas the character of a young lady is considered angelic, any blemish in it, would withdraw the respect men have for you